Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Animation #27 & 28

I got my hands on a copy of Paul Grimault's brilliant and quite rare animated film Le Roi et l'oiseau (The King and the Mockingbird), based on Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale. The only two dub versions available as far as I know - the original French audio track, and the Japanese dub released by Studio Ghibli. Miyazaki points the film as one of his major influences and inspirations. The movie has been over three decades in the making and today it is regarded as one of the masterpieces in animation. I also found English subtitles, which is great since I don't speak French...

And guess what? I found it also on YouTube! Watch the English subbed French here: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=subbedfilms&view=videos

The same user uploaded Kirikou and the Sorceress (French: Kirikou et la sorcière) - an award-winning 1998 French-Belgian animated feature film written and directed by Michel Ocelot. A sequel, Kirikou and the Wild Beasts (Kirikou et les bêtes sauvages) was released in 2005. Ocelot's latest film is Azur et Asmar, and I posted a trailer to it some time ago.

No comments: